Chakra is a Sanskrit word that translates to disk or wheel. In meditation, yoga, and Ayurveda, chakra refers to wheels of energy in the body. There are seven chakras in the body, and they align the spine starting from the base of the spine to the crown of the head. To visualize chakra in the body, imagine a swirling energy wheel where matter and consciousness meet. The invisible energy is called Prana, and it’s a vital force keeping us healthy, vibrant and alive.
The swirling wheel of energy matches massive nerve centers in the body. There are seven main chakras, and each of them contains bundles of nerves, our emotional, psychological and spiritual states of being as well as our major organs. It is vital that our seven main chakras stay open, fluid and aligned since everything is moving. Energy cannot flow if there’s blockage. To understand this, think of a simple thing like a bathtub. If you let a lot of hair to get into the drain, the tub backs up with water and stagnates. Eventually, mold and bacteria will grow leading to health problems. This is the same case with our bodies and the chakras, but it is more straightforward with the bathtub because it is physical and easy to fix.
The seven main chakras are:
- Muladhara – this is the chakra of security, stability and basic needs. When this chakra is open, we feel protected and fearless.
- Svadhisthana – it is the creativity and sexual center located above the pubic bone below the navel.
- Manipura – it is the source of personal power located from the navel to the breastbone.
- Anahata – it is in the middle of the seven chakras and unites the upper chakras of spirit and lower chakras of matter.it is the source of love and connection.
- Vishuddha – it is located in the throat area. It’s the source of verbal expression and the ability to speak the truth.
- Ajna – located in between the eyebrows, its referred to as the third eye. It is the center of intuition.
- Sahaswara – also referred to as the thousand petal lotus, it is located at the crown of the head. It is the chakra of spiritual connection to our higher selves, others to the divine and enlightenment.
To align the chakras in your body, you have to be aware of your chakras so you can detect the ones out of balance